Topic: Primes, Highest Common Factor (HCF), Lowest Common Multiple (LCM)
To demonstrate your understanding of the concepts through clear articulation on your approach to solve a problem.
- This is an individual task. You are to complete the viva voce practice on your own.
- This is a reinforcement of similar questions based on the topic covered in class.
- It will also help you to seek and articulate your understanding of concepts as you attempt to explain your approach and solution to the problem.
- You should not take more than 1 hour to complete the entire task.
You will learn how to use QuickTime Player in your ICT Lesson and apply the skills to complete this task.
- Choose ONE question
- Four questions are presented below. Read through carefully.
- Identify a question that you think is challenging but manageable.
- Do not go for the easiest question.
- Work out the solution on a piece of paper and think through how you would explain the solution.
- Explaining your solution does not mean simply read out the lines of the working, but inform the audience how you identify the key information, the method you use, and how the method works (e.g. begin the repeated division using the smallest prime number because...)
- Use any application/ platform (e.g. QuickTime Player) that is suitable to record your viva voice.
- Remember to keep the file size small.
- Submission of work
- Post your video clip in YouTube
- Under "Private Settings", select "Unlisted"
- Copy and paste the URL in the GoogleForm below
Deadline: 27 January 2013, 2359h
Source of questions: New Syllabus Mathematics (7th Edition) Shing Lee (7th edition. 2013)
Question 1: (p24, Q6)
Shirley needs to pack 108 stalks of roses, 81 stalks of lilies and 54 stalks of orchids into identical baskets so that each type of flowers is equally distributed amongst the baskets. Find
(i) the largest number of baskets that can be packed.
(ii) the number of each type of flowers in a basket.
Question 2: (p24, Q7)
At 5.45 pm, Lixin, Khairul and Devi are at the starting point of a 1-km circular path. Lixin takes 18 minutes to walk one round, Khairul needs 360 seconds to run 1 round and Devi cycles 2 rounds in 4 minutes. Find the time when all three of them will next meet.
Question 3: (p24, Q8)
Nora and Amirah work in different companies. Nora has a day off every 4 days while Amirah has a day off every 6 days. Nora's last day off was on 29 April while Amirah's was on 1 May.
(i) When will they next have the same day off?
(ii) Subsequently, how often will they have the same day off?
Question 4: (p23, Q14)
Michael is an art elective programme student who is working on an assignment. He plans to cover a rectangular sheet of paper of dimensions 126 cm by 108 cm with identical square patterns.
(i) What is the least number of square patterns that would be formed on the sheet of paper?
(ii) How would you determine other shapes can the patterns be if they are to fit the sheet of paper perfectly? Explain your answer.
GoogleForm for Submission
Playlist@Youtube of Viva Voce Submitted